Friday, June 11, 2010

Our Mother Mary, Poor and Unmarried


I can't thank God enough for how good of a first week I have had interning with EMC. Every pregnant girl I helped counsel who came in abortion minded left severely doubting their decision to abort or became a complete turn around and decided to keep their baby. Every unpregnant girl I helped counsel left more open to a chase lifestyle if not deciding to start practicing abstinence. Whether these girls keep this up or nor depends greatly on my and everyone elses prayers for them.

My first day I helped turn around an abortion minded 16 and 17 year old couple, and the last day working I saw my first sonogram with an undecided mother who was beaming and filled with joy after seeing her son for the first time. I got to see the baby respond to God's grace and his mother's voice. I watched the baby slowly and deliberately reach one hand up to where his mother's hand was. Then he turned and faced right at the ultrasound wand and smiled. He had a beautiful face! And yes, he moved around so much we could clearly see he was a son. He was 14 weeks old. The best part about this whole experience is not only was the mother estactic about being a mom now, after talking more we discovered she was diving deeper into exploring her Catholic faith.

You know what's my favorite thing to tell our Catholic clients? That Our Blessed Mother Mary was 14 when she conceived, 15 when she gave birth, was dead poor, unmarried, and she said yes to her unplanned pregnancy! Oh, she just gobbled that up and eagerly took my rosary and description of how to pray it. What a blessing to end the work week!

No comments: