Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mama & Baby



If you don't save the mother, you won't save the baby.

I have heard this statement multiple times since beginning my time with EMC. This week I experienced first hand how EMC helps women in a variety of difficult situations. We do so much beyond the initial consultation.

Outside our south Bronx center on 149th street, we had a display table with a video from "Abort73" playing continuously. The pictures of aborted babies was what got the most attention and caused numerous double takes from the people passing by on the sidewalk.

We talked to anyone that seemed interested. The conversations started simple with an open question such as "what do you think about abortion?" or "do you know anyone who has had an abortion before?"

It was the latter question that I asked a woman who stopped at the table with her toddler aged daughter. Her eyes teared up and she looked at me with such grief and said softly, "I had an abortion when I was 14."

We started talking about how abortion hurts women and how no one should go through that. I tried to console her with the fact that she unfortunately is not alone. Thousands of women have had abortions.

I asked her if she had ever heard of the Sisters of Life. She said no but was willing to wait while I ran up to the center to get the contact information for the Hope and Healing retreats. Another intern had a national hotline for post-abortive women that I also gave her.

At EMC we love women and their babies. Even if we cannot change their minds about abortion, we always tell them to come back to us, that we want to help them. That outreach and offering of love has a powerful impact.

If you don't save the mother, you won't save the baby.

No comments: