Saturday, June 19, 2010

"The boyfriend isn't supportive"





Today I helped St. Anne's Catholic Church in the Bronx with a street fair on abortion. The last woman I talked to summed up the whole picture. She came up to me and said

"You know why many women get abortions?" I asked her why she thought so.

"Many women get abortions because the boyfriend isn't supportive and they can't afford to have another kid."

I said very slowly and passionately "That's why we're here" pointing to our EMC flyer.

I explained we're here to provide support to women and even financial support if absolutely necessary "because if every woman had the love and support she deserves, no woman would want an abortion because no woman would need - feel the need - to have one." She smiled very warmly and said

"God bless you for that. God bless you for what you do."

Then I opened the magazine I had and showed her a picture of a 6 week old fetus. She had a very hard time looking at the page.

There was also a picture of a baby reaching out of its mother's womb during surgery and held the doctor's hand. I explained it wasn't an abortion picture and the story behind the picture. I explained how women won't know about fetal development when going into an abortion, that at 6 weeks their baby has a heart, face, hands, fingers and toes.

The whole time she listened but mostly looked away. Then she said.

"Women don't know that."

I said "Yes, I know they don't!" Then she said

"Women don't know that. Because I'm one of them." and quickly walked away, but not before I got to rub her shoulder and say "Oh, honey, we're here for everyone."

I will always remember how the first thing she said was that girls get abortions because the boyfriend isn't supportive. So much for the woman's choice.

On Friday Fr. Lawrence and Brother Joshua of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal came for Mass at the back-room chapel in the Bronx EMC. How I wish every boy in nyc could meet examples of real men like the CFR's.

No comments: