Wednesday, June 16, 2010

EMC, Something Truly Noble


When I first started my EMC Journey, I was petrified. The idea of moving clear across the country (from California to the Big Apple) was completely terrifying! I had never even been to the East Coast and I knew no one in the city, not to mention the many misconceptions that I had about New York! It wasn’t long after I arrived in the Bronx, that I came to realize that my fears were just the devils sorry attempt to stop me from doing God’s will!

It has been a few weeks since my final day of work with EMC. I am back in California now, enjoying the sunshine. Even so I wanted to write this “Farewell Blog”, and for so many reasons at that! Obviously because I am going to miss this work, this organization, and all the people who were fighting, right alongside me in the trenches. Fighting, to save innocent lives. I will miss it all so tremendously! Another reason I wanted to write this was in appreciation. There are just so many people to thank and so much to be thankful for!

First and foremost I want to thank Chris Slattery! Chris, if it were not for you and this wonderful organization that you have built, I would not be able to say that in these last 10 months I did the best thing I have ever done in my life. It truly is the BEST thing I have EVER done! Nothing I have done has ever meant so much! This work that EMC does is by far one of the most important works one can do. The fact that you built this organization from the ground up and in doing so, you have trained countless young people from across the world to save lives, and become active in the pro-life movement, that is truly something to be proud of. Chris, thank you for all you do for LIFE, and for giving me the opportunity to do something truly noble.

Mama Liz, you have taught me so much! My first taste of counseling was with you in your center in the South Bronx. When times got tough, (as they will in this line of work) and all I wanted to do was run the other way, you were such a comfort to me! You truly have a mother’s heart and so many children, mothers, and interns are forever grateful for that!

Linda, I have watched your strength and courage, and in turn I too learned to be tough. You taught me about the spiritual weapons that we must use in this battle for life and death, and pain and joy. You taught me the importance of prayer, that all powerful weapon! I have seen the immense love in your heart for these vulnerable women and men. I know that when they see it in your eyes, they too are comforted.






Kathy, from the beginning of my internship, your wisdom has been invaluable to me. You always had practical suggestions to defeat whatever obstacle that was in my way! Oh, were there many! Thanks Kathy!

Carmen, I didn’t get to spend nearly as much time with you as I would have liked! It wasn’t very often that I ventured into Queens . I know full well the pressures that you are under, running a Crisis Pregnancy Center in the middle of Abortion Row, in the Abortion Capitol of America! What perseverance it must take! I was always so happy to work in your center. I think the reason for this was your joy and peace.



Julie, te quero mucho! What have you not taught me! It has been a real pleasure to watch someone who I consider to be one of the best Sidewalk Counselors in the Country! I learned so much from you! Your intense love for these girls is very admirable! I strive to be like you in that way! You have been a friend, confidant, roommate, and most importantly mi hermana en Christo! You helped me to get through some real struggles. When the devil himself, was seriously angry with the work that we were doing and was tempting those around me to discourage me, and tempting me to give in, you helped pull me through. Thank you!

Ray! So many things to say! I will miss you so much! You have such a gift for patience! With me and others! Your way of encouraging our blogs always makes us feel special and appreciated! In this work that we do, where we can often times feel very much forgotten, you have been such a blessing! Likewise your humor always lifted my spirits! Please give my Love and goodbyes to Judy as well!



To EMC’s Donors and to our Bronx Lifehouse blog readers, I would like to say thank you! This has been the best 10 months of my life. I am so happy that I was able to share my journey with you! Thank you for all of your support to EMC and for the many, many prayers! Without it we would not be able to continue in this work! I have learned lessons that I will carry with me from here on out. The skills that I have acquired through EMC will mean many more lives saved! And I am just one! Imagine all of the many Interns that have come through this Internship Program over the years! EMC truly is training the Pro-life Leaders of tomorrow! If you know someone who you think would be interested in doing this internship, I would encourage you to share our blog with them. One word from you could be the catalyst that saves many innocent lives!

4 comments:

Student Nurse said...

Heather, So proud of the work you accomplished and the little souls who were blessed to be born because of a word of comfort and life that you shared with that's soul's mother. God will richly reward your commitment and steer you to the next opportunity; I just know it!

Unknown said...

Heather,

I will miss your blog posts. It was my hope that you'd stay on with Chris and the crew for as long as possible. The Holy Spirit must have a plan though.

Praying that the Lord lead you to the place where He can put your your wonderful talents to work for our babies, their parents and our Nation.

God's Blessings,
Hugs,
Marisol Villanueva

marilyn malave said...

Heather, I thank God, for meeting you, and for been my roomate for three weeks, you are such in inspiration to me. California is the number one state of abortion, you have a lot of work there. God as a plan for you. I pray for you. God bless you. Tu amiga de Puerto Rico.Te quiero mucho.
Marilyn

Rachel said...

I found this blog because of you, Heather, and it's wonderful work that all of you do! Thank you.