Sunday, June 27, 2010

So Much for "Woman's Choice"


I had one of the most heartbreaking experiences Friday. It was my first time seeing an obvious example of the boyfriend being the major force behind the girlfriend getting an abortion.

I've heard from many girls that they didn't want one but their boyfriends or parents weren't supportive, and I've heard about these cases outside of Emily's abortion mills from other interns, but I saw it for myself on friday.

A boy and a girl looking like in their early twenties or so drove into the back parking lot at Emily's abortion clinic.

The parking lot is behind the gate we can't cross so I yelled to them as they got out of the car, "Hey sweetheart, do you want a free sonogram? We have free pregnancy resources."

And she started crying. She wore huge sunglasses so I couldn't see her face, but she stopped and put her hands to her face and stood for a minute wiping her face.

The boyfriend stood very near her and talked very low to her but didn't touch her at all during this whole encounter I saw. I started yelling, "Honey, are you okay? Mami, what's going on I'm worried are you alright? Papi is she okay?"

Near of them looked to me or talked to me, but she had to go back to the car and sit down in a seat. The boy stood in the open door so I couldn't see her, but I could tell she was still wiping her face.

I kept yelling "Sweetheart, are you okay? You don't have to do this. We have healthier options for you, and free pregnancy resources. You don't have to do this. Come talk to me, please come talk to me!"

After another 5-7 minutes. She finally got out of the car again. I asked if she was okay, she smiled at me and nodded, but she was still wiping her face. The boyfriends wagged his finger at me, looking stone faced.

When they were right outside the doorway, I yelled "Hunny, this needs to be your decision, not your boyfriend's, not your parent's, just your's."

Then she stopped again and her hands went back to her face. The boyfriend opened the door and held it open for her. She slowly, so reluctantly, turned, and stepped into the door.

I repeated myself, and she stopped again in the doorway, but the boyfriend opened the second door into the clinic and held it open to her. She slowly turned and again walked in reluctantly, shifting her weight from one leg to the other so that she almost staggered in.

So who's decision was it to get the abortion - the girl's or the boy's? So much for a "woman's choice."

No comments: