Thursday, June 24, 2010

Forget Half-Way, I'll Meet You There



Today, I would like to think I was just a woman consoling another woman. But, it really wasn't that simple.

I was a Catholic, white woman holding a Muslim, black woman in hysterics. I was a Catholic woman who was being told "you just don't understand, I have to have this abortion, there is no other option, I'm Muslim, you just don't understand."

Today, it wasn't enough to try to understand. Today, it was crucial to seriously understand. This point hit home when "Aadab" (which means "hope" and "need") left the office engulfed in tears.

It was obvious that Aadab felt absolutely trapped and terrified, especially by her family. It was obvious that I had to meet Aadab where she was: an unmarried, pregnant girl in the eyes of a Muslim family.

After Aadab left, I sent her a text message that said "Koran 17:13 'kill not your children for fear of want. We shall provide sustenance for them as well as for you. Verily the killing of them is a great sin'. I know you do not answer to your family but to Allah."

Aadab immediately called me and asked when she could come back and see me! How beautiful it is that I met Aadab where she was and now she is meeting me where I am: at work!

Another meeting could very well be what helps save Aadab and her eleven week old baby. Please pray for this beautiful young woman, that she follows her precious heart and makes the choice she so desperately wants.

No comments: