Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Coincidence


Coincidence is God's way of being anonymous.

We have all had moments in life when it feels like someone is watching out for you. Some call it karma, or fate, others luck or the more spiritually inclined would give credit to their guardian angel. Whatever or whomever you give the credit to, it is reassuring to have some sort of confirmation in which way you should go in life. One of our clients had an experience just like this.

She came to the south Bronx center with her older sister on a Monday. They had tried to go to the Planned Parenthood center across the street, but they are closed on Mondays. Sign number one.

Then instead of going home they went across the street to our office because they saw the giant "UNPLANNED PREGNANCY?" banner. Sign number two.

I was at the center that day and was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to speak to this young woman. Her boyfriend said the choice was hers but that he, "didn't think they were ready." A common excuse given to evade responsibility.

Her older sister that accompanied her wanted her to keep her baby. Whenever there is a source of support in the family, that is a huge plus that is really emphasized during the consultation.

As I was talking with the woman and she shared her story with me, I told her I didn't think it was a coincidence that she ended up in our center. If she had come on any other day, she most likely would have scheduled an abortion with ease.

When I said that I thought someone was watching out for her, she agreed and told me it was her dad. I asked what he said when she told him she was pregnant, and it turns out that he had passed away. I then shared with her that my dad too had passed away and I definitely believed that her dad was watching over her and his little grand baby. Sign number three.

In tears, the young mother and her sister sat and watch "Choice Blues," the mother for the second time just so her sister could see the true images of abortion.

Although still working through a difficult relationship with her boyfriend, this brave young mother has chosen not to ignore the life growing inside of her.

No comments: