Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Life and Death Decisions


Counseling on the sidewalk was the aspect of this internship that I was most afraid of. My first day in front of Dr. Emily’s was spent watching and praying, learning what to say. Most of the time there is little reaction from the girls and women who go in. Most of the time we were ignored; some would take a pamphlet and listen; some would go for a sonogram. The clinic wasn’t very busy, a good thing, so most of the time was spent in prayer.
The second time I went to Dr. Emily’s I started to do actual sidewalk counseling. It is amazing how the girls going in will stand in front of us for one short moment, and in that slip of time will make a decision between life and death. When in front of the clinic all day in the heat, it is easy to lose focus on the importance of a presence there. But one exchange of words might change the life of a woman and save the life of a child whose potential is unfathomable. These split-second decisions make one realize the importance of each moment. I’m praying that God keeps me where I need to be, mentally, spiritually, and physically so that every moment I am doing His will for His children.

No comments: