Monday, August 22, 2011

Redemptive Suffering

I've learned a lot from our center directors throughout my time here. They teach me more every time I see them. Often about our work and our clients, sometimes just about life and about myself. One of the things I remember in particular was from Linda, our Brooklyn Center Director. It was in the midst of the chaos of a day full of clients and we were talking about clients who had had previous abortions when she suddenly pulled me aside and said, "Don't ever think that you are better than one of these girls. They will get to heaven before you or me because of the value of their redemptive suffering!"

It is certainly true that the way to heaven is through suffering, as our Lord showed us, and the pain caused by one abortion is something I may not ever understand. I can't judge anyone. It could be that through the Lord's great mercy that he draws that wounded soul closer to himself than I will ever be because of the great suffering they have to offer him.

No comments: