Saturday, August 6, 2011

Education starts with Conversation

A few days ago Gabrielle and I got to talk to a young woman about the pro-life movement and what we thought about abortion and contraception. She was in her 20s studying for her PhD and asked us what we were doing in the DC area. We explained a bit about the pro-life movement and what abortion procedures were, their side effects, and what our goal was by standing outside an abortion center.

She seemed interested to hear what we had to say. After explaining all this to her for a few minutes she told us that even though she didn't agree with us she thought what we were doing was good.

She asked what the pro-abortion people have said that really bothers us. Of all I've heard them say two specific attacks bother me. First of all - they say we (the pro-life movement) are ok with killing an abortionist but want to save babies. Obviously they are referring to Scott Roeder - the man who professed to be "pro-life" who killed George Tiller.

First of all, I do NOT support the killing of George Tiller. That is not the response of someone who is truly for life. I do not stand behind Scott Roeder - nor do I think he is pro-life.

Secondly - they say that we don't care for women. Excuse me, but I deeply care for women. I have seen that abortions seriously damage women. I work for pregnancy centers that provide resources for women. We care for the whole woman - her emotional, physical, spiritual health. As I have mentioned before - abortion is not a quick fix - women are not healed by abortion.

I really appreciated the conversation we had with this young woman. We were able to hold a conversation about abortion and it's effect on society without personal attacks or insults.

*I don't know if you can see it in the picture - it's more of our sidewalk chalk - it says "Abortion exploits women."

No comments: