Monday, August 2, 2010

Unexpected Encounter



There I was in Birmingham, AL about to embark on the first Pro-Life Freedom Ride with pro-life leaders such as Fr. Frank Pavone, Dr. Alveda King, and Catherine Davis. How blessed I felt to be a part of it.

On the evening before the ride, we visited the civil rights museum. I noticed a picture of Emmett Till (http://www.watson.org/~lisa/blackhistory/early-civilrights/emmett.html) and was telling the story to one of the other interns. I was explaining how his story shows why it is so important that pro-lifers use graphic images to expose the truth of abortion.

A woman overheard me talking and asked me to tell her. Then she started asking me questions about abortion and my pro-life beliefs. It turns out she is post-abortive. She said, "I'm so happy I was able to make that choice for myself and for my family." She ended up marrying the father of that baby and now they have a beautiful little girl a decade later.

I talked to her for a while, and she showed no remorse for her abortion. I hope that my words of truth and love will stick with her. I hope and pray that one day she comes to see the true horror of her "choice." And on that day I pray she will fall to her knees and find the mercy and forgiveness of Jesus Christ. Only then can she be healed.

Only when we acknowledge our sin and show remorse can we be forgiven. But lucky for us, God is always ready to forgive. All we have to do is ask. She will be in my prayers.

Everything happens for a reason, and I truly believe that that conversation had a higher purpose.

No comments: