Thursday, August 5, 2010

One Tough Turn-Around


Monday I found myself in Queens at Carmen's office. In walks a 22-year-old with her best friend who's 4 months pregnant and wants an abortion.

The story goes like this:

"Rebecca" has no tolerance for alcohol, and after a few too many tequila shots out with her friends she finds herself pregnant and she doesn't know the father or how to contact him.

Rebecca wants an abortion right away because of the circumstances, but there is a problem. Her mother and older sister are against abortion and refuse to take her to the abortion clinic. Praise God for these 2 women! In fact, her sister takes her to pre-natal care. Very unhappily, I might add.

The best friend came home last week, and finally she has someone to "support" her and her decision. So they came to me.

Keep in mind she was getting pre-natal care. She had sonograms. She knows the baby has fingers, toes, eyes, ears. She knows it wiggles around and sucks its thumb. She doesn't care.

Well, after talking to her for at least 45 minutes about her situation, I say something along the lines of, "Look, I understand why you don't want a baby in these circumstances, but abortion is not an easy way out of this one. You are in your second trimester, and second trimester abortions can be very dangerous." I go on to describe the procedure to her and some of the risks (cancer, miscarriage, depression, etc...). Then she says she didn't realize it was that dangerous, but she guesses she wants to do it anyways. Finally at least a little bit of negative thoughts towards abortion!

It was at that time that the best friend knocked on the door asking if she could come in. I let her in, and she immediately asked, "Are you still sure you want to do this?" I witnessed a sweet exchange between a very concerned best friend and a scared but determined client.

Then I showed them "Choice Blues". I like showing the videos because it gives me a chance to pray. I prayed that the Holy Spirit would fill up the room and touch this mother's heart. I prayed that I would be given words of love and wisdom. I prayed that she could look past the father of the baby and see the blessing that is inside her. Instantly after my "Amen" I saw her change. No joke.

The best friend started to cry. Rebecca turned to her and they spoke without words until Rebecca spoke those words that I love to hear. "I can't do it."

She's going to let this baby live. Praise God!!!

No comments: