Wednesday, July 6, 2011

If you want to make God laugh..tell Him your plans

The other day I went to fight for life again, this time it was at the doors of the abortion clinic "Dr. Emily's".

We are not able to cross a line on the ground which separates the clinic from the rest of the street, it has been referred to rather harshly as the line "between heaven and hell".

Saint Josemaria Escriva used to say that in our daily battle for saving lives we must go until the gates of hell, not far off because the love of God can enter in a place with so much evil taking place. That is what an abortion clinic reminds me of: I can stand at their doors, talk to the women and pray for the babies in the womb but I could never cross that line.

My story today teaches us that even when we think we are right and we have the perfect words to offer a girl to help her realize the best option is keeping her baby, God has other plans and other words for us to say.

Yesterday, I saw a girl coming out of Emily's, she was taking on the phone and I smiled at her thinking that she would refuse to smile me back but guess what? She smiled at me and looked at me asking desperately for help with her eyes. I started talking with her, she went there for an abortion, she was 5 months pregnant, she just did her sonogram and she still wanted an abortion. In a non abortionist clinic, a sonogram of a 5 month old baby would show a completely formed little kid so I was pretty amazed by the tone of confidence she was using, like she didn't care that the life of the baby she just saw would be ended; but eventually she told me that in the sonogram she saw nothing, only white and black stripes and they didn't let her listen to the heart beat of the baby. I asked her: do you wanna see your baby? Do you really wanna hear his heart beat? She said yes and she started following me to our van with the sonogram machine. It was God whispering words of love right into her heart that made her come.

Once we were in the van and we showed her the size of a 5 month unborn baby and we told her what she was about to do she burst into tears"I almost killed my baby!" We told her not to worry, because she hadn't done it. She had the sonogram and we listened to her baby's heart in the van, it was incredible, I had goose bumps. Then she started crying again "Its a girl, its a baby girl! I'm having a girl!"

She showed us pictures of her other two children, she was only 21, she was brave and she was beautiful. I'm glad God used me as his instrument to show her see the truth.

No comments: