Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Miracle Child

I witnessed a miracle on Monday. I was sitting the sonogram room with a woman I had been speaking to that morning. Ana* (in the pic to the left) is from Jamaica and has a 5 year old son. His father was shot and killed two years ago in Jamaica, making her a single mother. She now lives in NYC and since moving here has had three abortions. Ana was 8 weeks along when she found out she was pregnant. She saw our ad on the subway and called to schedule an appointment, but never came. She then made an appointment with an abortion clinic and on her way to have her fourth abortion, she got lost and could not find the building. So she called EMC again and made an appointment with us the day before her rescheduled abortion date!

When I met her, I knew she was undecided on what she planned to do about her pregnancy from her paperwork. She went through the consultation and heard Linda speak the truth about abortion, how it harms the female body, how it scars the soul, and how it permanently takes a life. While she waited for her sonogram, I got the chance to talk to her and hear her story and her newly changed mind on abortion and her past experience with it. When her time came, she let me come with her to see her baby. Zena, the sonogram technician, was showing us the eyes and nose when Linda walked in to look at the beautiful child. She asked Ana if she would like to hold her baby's hand. Ana was puzzled but said yes. Then Linda prayed over her stomach and asked God if it be his will for a miracle to happen. She had Ana place both her hands on her stomach and sent a supplication to the Lord. "Hold my hand, baby.Hold my hand." Ana said to her baby. And then it happened. The baby reached both of its hands up to its mothers and then put them back down! It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I was so overwhelmed and awed by what I had just seen the I began to cry. It is something I shall never forget.

Her baby is a miracle child in several ways. Ana was supposed to have a small chance of ever having another a child due to the complications of her past abortions, but instead she is 17 weeks pregnant. Ana, was supposed to have already aborted that baby, but instead she got lost and could not find the clinic. Ana was supposed to never come in to our office, but instead she made a new appointment in the nick of time and saw the miracle of the life she is carrying. Ana was supposed to be at an abortion clinic in Manhattan the next day, but instead, she was at the Brooklyn clinic starting her prenatal care!

*Name changed

No comments: