Saturday, July 23, 2011

Languages


I have been utterly amazed at the diversity of languages and cultures in New York. I was even able to work with a client who made me remember that what I do is as much a heart to heart counseling as it is a factual counseling. She had a difficult time understanding me, but we were still able to communicate.
Yes, a lot of the women speak Spanish, some even speak other less common languages. This woman however was deaf. She could not hear the words I spoke. She could not hear the videos. But with what little ASL I know, and her ability to read lips, we were able to talk.
It was not my words that touched her. It was not my facts that moved her. It was my heart reaching out to hers. The language of hearts is a gift. It is special, not because few have it. But because few use it.

No comments: