Precious One - 12 week old preborn baby:
- Week 1: Conception; the baby is smaller than a grain of sugar, but the
instructions are present for all that this person will ever become.
- Week 2: The baby attaches and borrows securely into the wall of
its mother's womb.
- Week 3: The baby's blood vessels and sex cells form. Founda-
tions of the brain, spinal cord and nervous system are laid.
- Week 4: The baby's heart has begun to beat. Eyes, ears and
lungs begin to form.
- Week 5: Tiny arms and legs appear, as well as the baby's face.
The baby's blood is now separate from the mother's.
- Week 6: Tiny fingers and toes develop. The baby's brain is divided into
3 parts for emotion and language, hearing and seeing.
- Week 7: Buds of the baby's milk teeth appear. 99% of the muscles
are present, and brain activity is detectable.
- Week 8: The baby begins spontaneous movement and is now well
proportioned, about the size of a thumb. Every organ is present, but
immature. The skull, elbows, and knees are forming.
- Week 9: If prodded, hands and eyelids close. Genitalia become
visible, indicating whether the baby is a boy or a girl. Muscular
- Week 10: The baby's fingerprints begin to form. Nerve and muscle
connections have tripled. Eyelids fuse together temporarily to
protect the baby's delicate developing eyes.
- Week 11: The baby "practices" breathing and facial expressions, even
smiling. The baby can also urinate and stomach muscles can contract.
- Week 12: The baby is now 3 inches in length and weighs 2 oz.
with fine hair on the face. The baby is able to swallow and feels
and responds to skin stimulation.