Saturday, August 11, 2012

My experience in EMC

   For the people that don't know, this is my last blog! I leave on monday to Spain and before leaving, I would like to tell you all my experience here, because this journey has been a great experience for me and for all the interns, I think.

   When I arrived, I started to work in the Bronx office, and there I realized about the importance of this organization in which human lives really are saved. I learned to counsel, and I also started to save lives. It was very gratifying work, but not all was good news. Other days the work was saddening, many women came with the idea of have an abortion, and left with the same idea. It was a miracle when some days later you called them or they called you to say that they were going to keep the baby. Then I began to appreciate not only the lives of unborn children, also I appreciate the mothers. They are needy people, who are desperate and see abortion as the easy way. Our mission is to help them understand that they under the wrong impression.

   Then, the "A team" went to Minneapolis conferences and we learned so much about sidewalk counseling. From then, we were dedicated body and soul to the women who were going to clinics to abort directly. I think, this is the worst job. All is very hard, being under the sun and standing up for many hours, trying to talk to women that don't want to listen to you... There were days that I felt useless because I didn't get anywhere with them, even giving brochures!

  But apart from the job, I leave with very good friends. You come here for two months and you have to work in relationship with the other interns and work mates. One thing that impressed me so much, was how well the people who have worked for years at EMC  do their jobs.It is true that they have more experience in this labour, but without them, this wouldn't be the same. The best example that I have is Rosana, who does the sonograms at Emily's, but also does counseling. I have learned a lot with her, at the same time that other interns have learned a lot with Linda for example. 


   For all the people that don't know whether to come or not, I recommend you come, it is a very gratifying work, a beautiful place to work, New York City, and very nice company.


No comments: