Saturday, November 1, 2014

DEAR BABY, DEAR MOM

While I was in Brooklyn my first day in training, I heard one of the other counselors ask a mom: “What do you think your baby would tell you right now?”
This week, in the middle of all the moving out hurries, I had a few clients. One of them was M. She is a wonderful American girl, she didn’t know what to do. When I was speaking with her, I made her this question. She was in blank, but I could tell what she was thinking, so I turned it around and asked: “What would you say to you baby? How would you explain?” As she answered, all started to make sense in my mind, and in hers.
 “I am sorry baby, I know you are inside of me, I know that you exist, but I need you to understand. I am not ready to welcome you, I haven’t got the money, the time or the maturity that is needed. I didn’t plan you, you were a surprise. I am afraid of not being able to give you everything you need, afraid of not giving you all the love and security I should. I don’t know how to be a mom, I wouldn’t be a good one, of that I am SURE”.
“Don’t be afraid mom, I don’t know how to be a son, but don’t worry, we’ll help each other”.

After a bit more talk, M decided to keep the baby.

No comments: