Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Other Side


As I start my second week I have to admit that things start to get more challenging, it has been hot and staying outside in the sidewalks has become more difficult. Sidewalk Counseling is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. It demands so much out of you physically, spiritually, and emotionally. Many times as I stand outside an abortion clinic I always wonder what the people that work there are like.  What are their passions, do they enjoy what they are doing, but the question that I ask myself the most is why do they work in an abortion clinic?

On Monday I was assign to go to an abortion clinic in Queens, when we arrive we saw a few women going in I offer them a pamphlets but they rejected them.  I saw an older lady approaching the clinic I didn’t offer information since she was older I would say around sixty. However, she took me by surprise and approach me our conversation went something like this:

Her: “Good morning, what are you doing out here? What are you passing out?”
Me: “ Good morning I am passing out pamphlets we provide free services for pregnant women”
Her: “abortions?”
Me:” no we do not provide abortions”
Her: “ Oh then you are not providing a service, a service is an abortion.  I used to be like you, I use to think abortion was wrong, but then I became pregnant when I was in Med school. I had an abortion, I was married and I had been working extremely hard for my career. I couldn’t let all my hard work go to waste; I had to have an abortion. One of my daughters is now a doctor, she does mission work she goes out to different parts of Latin America and takes care of the children for free, I support her. If I hadn’t had an abortion she wouldn’t be able to do this. Do you know how much children live in poverty? These women do not have money to support their children. I believe in God and I believe that I am doing his work. Why do you think I work here? I am the anesthesiologist; these women can have a child that’s why we provide cheap abortions. I am not a bad person.”
Me:” We don’t think you are a bad person”
Her: “We are doing a good, this women need us.”

She then walk into the abortion clinic.

By half of the conversation she started to cry, I could see the pain she had, she was trying her best to convince me but deep down I know that she was trying to convince herself. I was in complete shock, this woman had just open up one of her deepest wounds to me, she had share with me her vulnerability.  At that moment I started to pray for her, for her healing, for her conversion, and I please ask you to do the same, We have to remember that the people in the other side are as broken as we are and that they are also in need of prayers. When we go outside of an abortion clinic we are not only trying to save the lives of the babies and their mothers but those of the ones that work in these clinics. They are also in need of love, compassion and forgiveness.

May the Lord bless you and keep you , may he grant you the desires of your heart.

Your Sister in Christ,

Michelle 



Lord, have mercy on us and on the whole world.



No comments: