Monday, July 6, 2015

The importance of learning


Last week at Dr. Emily's counceling a one of a kind man: "To convert somebody go take them by the hand and guide them" - St. Thomas Aquinas. 

There are very few things as rewarding as learning. To be honest with you, even though I was learning a lot from observing others and from my own mistakes, it was really nice to have two days of training: last Monday with Chris Slattery at the LifeHouse, where he spoke to us for hours about the ‘love approach’ (which is the only one I’ve seen working in the little time I’ve been here); and on Tuesday with Sr. Dorothy from sisters of life, where after a very enriching talk and a very cleansing mass, I got to do some roleplaying thanks be to Miss Sarah Contreras (who “threw me under the bus” by picking me as her partner) which, to be honest, isn’t my favorite thing since, as I confessed last week, I’m a bit shy. But I appreciated the opportunity as it’s easier to learn from practice.

During the training on Monday, Chris focused a lot on the importance of studding and on how crucial it is to always keep on learning. He gave as this great John C. Maxwell books, and so now I’m reading “The 21 indispensable qualities of a leader”, (I’ll let you know my thoughts on it as soon as I finish it). I keep on thanking God for being a part of this program, not only because it hasn’t been easy to get here (especially due to some academic issues finishing my degree and with the enrollment of my masters), but also because I can already see how much this experience is going to help me become the best version of myself. And of course, I also thank Him for the opportunity of meeting this great ladies I’m living with (and yes, that includes the sometimes wicked, always cool sweat and funny Sarah Contreras).

I could never emphasize enough how tough this job is, but all the help we are provided with, and all the love and support we receive from the other interns makes it much easier; and the possibility of saving lives, worth it! And so, as St. Pio of Pietrelcino said, “Pray, hope and don’t worry”, I’m going to try to stay hopeful and positive (in spite of the heartbreaking situations we get to see), pray really hard, and do my best.

God will do the rest.


Marga

No comments: