Sunday, July 29, 2012

Practicing my English


This week I did my first counseling in English, alone! All the other interns  were busy, a girl arrived and my supervisor said to me: “ come on Mary! It´s your chance!”
At the beginning I was scared and said I was not prepared to do a counseling in English alone, but my supervisor insisted that was my chance and that was the only way to learn… and I found this to be true!

The woman I spoke to was about 30 years old, she had two children and was pregnant again. Her economic situation was not very good and she explained it seemed impossible to have another child because she could not support them.  I told her abortion is not the best choice; if anything happened to her who would care for their children? Economic problems are only temporary but the consequences of abortion are forever. I knew I had to let her think about these things, and all I could do from there was call her in a few days and pray for her.
Regardless of whether I am successful with these women at the end of the day the choice is theirs and I am just there to help them make the right decision and choose life. I am so grateful for this opportunity to practice my English. It is amazing to me that I was able to counsel in English when I thought it was so difficult. With matters as serious as abortion we are always find a way to communicate to these helpless girls. 

No comments: