Monday, July 19, 2010

When they come in

Working at the doors of abortion clinics is a terrible job, emotionally, spiritually and also physically. Not everyone is prepared to wait for hours in the terrible heat of summer, for a girl to come and offer her your help. Why is not everyone prepared? Because, sad as it is, many of them just ignore your presence, or even worse, they know your will to help them but fear freezes their hearts, and they don't even look at you. What can I, a valueless Spanish student, do in those cases?

Shall I come in and take her out? That's illegal.
Shall I ignore the whole situation and keep talking with other interns? Well, I could, but I didn't come to NYC to do that.
Shall I shout and yell and get angry? That wouldn't be a help at all for these women in despair.
Shall I break in tears and stay sad for the rest of the day? That would lead to demotivation in the group, and wouldn't be practical. I just want to help these women, but I won't make their choice for them.

So WHAT SHALL I DO?
HOW CAN I HELP A WOMAN THAT HAS ALREADY COME INTO AN ABORTION CLINIC?
Praying for them. Only God knows their case and He knows better how to help them: In some cases it will be convincing them to get out of there (that has happened many times), in other cases it will be putting regret in their hearts so they can still seek redemption. We never know how do prayers work, but they do indeed. Always.

When a baby dies in a abortion clinic, it is not only that biography that is changed. That baby was destined to be a son, a father, a brother, an uncle, a friend. Abortion changes it all, and future fades away. Just some feet away from us, and even so, we can still help them.

No comments: