Tuesday, July 6, 2010

To See


I love working at a center on a sonogram day. When a women can see and hear her child within her body, so much hope is restored for his or her life.

The other day I talked to a woman at the center in Queens who came in for an abortion and "wanted it all done today". Her mind was made up. How horrible for her baby if we did what she thought we did as she walked through our doors. When I told her that we have free abortion alternatives she got pretty mad and I was worried she was just going to leave.

I think she could tell that we really cared about her and her baby. The more we talked the more she opened up. She watched the video of abortion procedures and the video of real abortion footage. She started realizing what this decision could mean for her.

The real change came when she saw her sonogram. She had just entered her second trimester, and her baby was not shy. Roseanna, our sonogram tech, was able to get lots of good pictures and listen to a good strong heartbeat.

When this woman saw her baby, her voice changed to a mother's voice. She talked to him; "I feel like he's a boy," she said.

She stayed with us for a while talking about pregnancy, relationship issues, and finances. When I gave her the number for a free pre natal doctor she called him and made an appointment right then and there. She even asked to see the videos for a second time to see what she almost got trapped by.

Pray for this special woman and her baby. I wish I could be in New York the day he is born and hold him, after being witness to the great occasion of his first picture.

No comments: