Friday, July 16, 2010

Double the Blessing


Today was a particularly good and busy day at the EMC Pregnancy Center in Brooklyn. We had seventeen women come in. One of the women especially stuck out to me. I was watching the pre-natal development video with many of the women, and next thing I know, I see Linda, our supervisor, bringing in a lovely lady to one of the rooms. Immediately Linda tells me to go counsel her. When I entered with the paperwork, I see tears rolling down her face. I asked her what happened. She then proceeds to tell me how Linda found her crying in front of the building, and how Linda immediately went up to her and asks, “You’re pregnant huh?” The woman was amazed and actually stated that she thought Linda was a psychic for a minute. The woman then tells Linda how she had just come from Planned Parenthood to get an abortion but could not go through with it, but her ex-boyfriend was trying to force her to have it so Linda took her here. It turns out that this woman had a previous abortion around 15 years old. She explained to me how she could feel the doctor inserting the laminaria sticks into her cervix and the rest of the procedure. It was a horrific experience for her, and she could not go through it again. What’s ironic is that this woman had told her ex-boyfriend about this, and he even sympathized with her before he got her pregnant, but now that she is bearing his kid, it’s a whole different story.
After counseling her, I brought her to the waiting room so that she could get her sonogram. I then proceeded to the office to do some paperwork. Next thing I know, this man just walks in and starts to proceed towards the waiting room. I asked him what he was here for, and he said rudely, “It’s time for me to take her home.” I followed him quickly as he starts to harass his ex-girlfriend. He demands for her to leave, but she refused. I politely asked him to leave, and he tells me I cannot tell him to do anything and storms off. We then locked the door after him to make sure he would not harass her again, and soon later, I hear a big bang on the door and that’s the rest I hear from him. Once the woman was getting her sonogram done, I went in to check it out. She had twins! It was double the blessings. The mom was so overjoyed she was crying. She told me she does not need her ex-boyfriend to raise these beautiful children. She can do it on her own. What a strong woman.

No comments: