Saturday, July 3, 2010

Be not afraid

When we interns first get here, we see so many situations we have never before encountered. It is an understatement to say that this work is intimidating and downright scary. Why would women who are in pregnancies they did not plan, who are struggling to live as it is, listen to cute litte well-meaning intense who get to go home after 6 weeks and don't have to live with a new baby?

They would listen because we have the only thing we need: truth.

Outside of an abortion clinic, something finally clicked inside me: I have a truth that these women need to hear before they get through the doors, where they won't have any more chances at hearing it.

We walked so many women away from the doors of the abortion clinic and into our free sonogram bus...by 11:00 in the morning we had st least 5 women come in and talk to us. 5 women that if we weren't there that day would have gone in the doors with child and come out without. Two women told me personally that they had made a decision to parent after we stopped them from going into the clinic.

I will not be afraid anymore. I will not be timid, I will approach every woman and if I fail a million times, great, because I will have tried a million times.

1 comment:

Heather Forcey said...

You are amazing, Sally! I love your attitude. Great way of looking at the situation.