Saturday, June 4, 2011

Hidden Joys


Okay, so the picture doesn’t seem to fit a blog about women with unplanned pregnancies. But as I was walking along, I spied this small flower amongst these big plants. If I wasn’t looking, I would have missed this joy. Isn’t it amazing how the pieces of the puzzle all fall together when we watch carefully?
After she walked in, I started by finding out about her life. Where does she go to school? What is her boyfriend like? What does she want to do if she is pregnant? The usual things I have to learn to help her. Yet none of those questions could explain the glow on her face. The hope in her eyes.
She was scared. She didn’t think it was a good time to have a child. But she looked at me in horror when I asked her if she wanted the abortion. She wanted this child she might be carrying very much, there was no way she would even consider it. We watched some informational videos, I showed her some info on STDs. After awhile I helped her with the pregnancy test.
I will never forget the look on her face when she saw the test results. So many women are relived, some are scared, some are resolute. This woman was disappointed. She knew it would be hard to be a mom right now. She knew all the reasons she should be relieved. But she wanted a child, even though it would have been an “unplanned” pregnancy.
Women like this one, are the ones who light up my world. The ones I don’t expect, and could never plan into my life. But if I wasn’t looking, I would have missed this joy.


No comments: