Saturday, June 18, 2011

Boyfriend's Choice. Parent's Choice. Not Women's Choice.

In the few days I’ve started working with EMC, I’ve had a lot of learning experiences. I’ve talked to many women who come into our centers and have been able to observe the trained directors and staff at several of the EMC pregnancy centers. One big issue that has stuck out to me recently is how many abortions are not as a result of “women’s choice.” Rarely women are 100% abortion minded. Many women I’ve seen and talked to are undecided. When asked why they are undecided it’s usually because “my boyfriend wants an abortion” “my mom wants me to get an abortion” “my sister and my friends want me to get an abortion.”


Many women do not make the abortion decision based on what they want. I’ve heard several women tell me (and other staff) that their boyfriend will break up with them if they do not get an abortion. This is manipulation with a child’s life on the line.


Peer pressure. I know everyone has heard the “talk” about peer pressure. Don’t let your friends or acquaintances pressure you into drinking or taking drugs just because it’s “cool” at the time or because they’ll drop you as a friend if you don’t. Why are women pressured to abort? When did keeping your baby become something your boyfriend will break up with you over? When did killing your baby become something you’ll be accepted for doing?


Between testimonies I’ve heard and women I’ve talked to, parents are a huge reason they abort. Their parents usually think that the unexpected pregnancy will be something that their child’s life will be ruined over. Having children does change your life, but it does not strip you of ambitions and talents. How did getting into a good college make killing your baby rationalized?


What saddens me is seeing this culture of death day after day. Now, a relationship with a man who wants you to abort your baby is worth more than keeping your child. Now, killing your baby is worth getting into college and getting a good job. Now, death is valued over life.

No comments: