Friday, June 17, 2011

Chance Encounter?

I had just finished working outside of Dr. Emily’s, and was sitting at the bus stop. I watched as this old man started to walk past the bus stop. I watched him do a double take, and come around to stand in front of me. He looked at me and stuck out his hand. I took it and he started to pump it enthusiastically.
I guess my confusion must have shown on my face, as he started to speak rapidly and with great emotion. Unfortunately he was speaking Spanish. I am really bad with Spanish, but I was able to (in Spanish) tell him I couldn’t understand him. He nodded and shook my hand again, then walked off.
I turned to the woman next to me and asked if she could translate. She didn’t speak much English, but she pointed at Dr. Emily’s and said, “Aboot, Aboot.” I got the gist. The old man had been thanking me profusely for sidewalk counseling outside the clinic. I knew the community was grateful for us, but to be recognized and thanked somewhere else was truly wonderful.

No comments: