Saturday, July 5, 2014

What They Fought and Died For

I was given a wonderful opportunity to visit Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown at the best time of the year with the celebration of our Independence. Among all these places the thing that really struck me was when we were watching some reenactments of men were firing guns and cannons. The noise and smoke from just the muskets alone would be enough to make me really think twice about being there on the front lines. I could not even imagine fighting against a formidable foe like the British army and then add in the cannons. I don't know how I could continue the fight.

But then there is Freedom. When you have a cause and purpose to the fight, when you are fighting for something good and true then it all makes sense; it is all worth the fight. Those men did not only believe freedom was a good thing, but it truly is good. Not only that, but it is something that all men should have and so it is worth the sacrifice of pain, suffering, and even death. Those men knew this and that is what helped them to continue the fight.

When I think and reflect on this I feel ashamed when I am afraid to go out on the streets and fight for the cause that I believe and know is right and good. I do not have to hear the roar of cannons and gunfire in my battles, and I don't have a constant battle with death... but yet I hesitate. Why?

As I am constantly reminded, I am fighting in a battle, a battle against evil. This evil can be very frightening at times, but I have to remind myself why I am in this fight and Who is on my side. Through prayer and the grace of God our side will emerge victorious in the end.

No comments: