Sunday, May 8, 2011

Together Eternally


The moment a child is conceived, the mother is also conceived. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
-Author Unknown

Last Sunday mothers were the main focus of many people’s lives. At EMC, mothers are our focus everyday. Each time a child is conceived, a mother’s heart begins to beat. With each beat comes fear and worry, but also joy and love. As the chemicals in the mother’s body begin to fight for life, so her heart wages the war for her child’s life. As this world tells her she made the biggest mistake possible, God tells her she is part of the biggest adventure possible.
Even when a woman has had a child before, she still becomes new every time she conceives. She may already be a mother, but she wasn’t a mother to this precious one. It is amazing to me how my mother could look at each of her children and whisper, “you are my favorite,” and not be lying. It is amazing to me to see how a woman’s heart breaks when she chooses herself over her child.
I saw this in a woman’s eyes as she told me she knew what she wanted. She knew it was a baby, and she knew she would regret killing her baby. Her heart was wounded, but still fighting. Yet her mind and the world’s lies were winning. I don’t know if I will ever know what happened. I don’t know if someday I will turn the corner and see her child’s face. But I do know she will always be a mother. I just don’t know how long her child has in this life.

No comments: