Tuesday, May 24, 2011

All Boys Need Sisters


I counseled at our EMC center in Queens this week where I had a couple that wanted a sonogram.

While I was counseling them, our director-Carmen- was also counseling a client.

This client is from Queens. She has a son and is currently pregnant. We gave her a sonogram.


When she first came to us, she said she wanted to get an abortion. We tried to take the focus away from the abortion and asked her to tell us more about her son.

She loves her son. She talked about how beautiful and smart he is. She told us he is one of the best things in her life.

I said, "Don't you want to give him a little brother or sister?"

She responded, "Sister". I said, "What?" Then Carmen turned towards me and said, "Yeah Abby- sister. We did the sonogram and found out she is is pregnant with a girl!"

I talked to her about how exciting it would be to have a little girl. That she could have a little boy and now a little girl. It is what most people dream of having. Why would you want to deny such a gift?

All of a sudden, she firmly says to both of us, " I'm keeping it".

It was so shocking. Carmen had been counseling her for almost 2 hours at this point and the entire time she kept saying that she wanted the abortion. So, this was out of nowhere. Carmen and I both got these smiles on our faces. We were overcome with a mixture of excitement and transparent joy.

The client is coming back to us this week. She is going to bring in her son so we can meet him. I can't wait to be the second or third person to tell him (besides mommy) that he is going to be getting a new little sister!

No comments: