Tuesday, May 17, 2011

They said she was too old to have a baby

A few days ago I had the privelege of speaking with the type of woman with whom I rarely speak. She was forty years old.

If there is any stigma worse than 'teenage pregnancy' - it may be a single older woman. After all, they are supposed to 'know better.' This woman was basically embarrassed that she got herself into the predicament without knowing the father too well.

Anyway, the woman just needed encouragement. She already had gone through a horrible abortion experience and utilized the healing process of Rachel's Helpers, and was mad at herself for even considering it again (when she came in she was undecided on what she wanted to do). I was so glad that I could offer her friendship and compassion.

In the end, the actual obstacles to a pregnancy were mostly practical. I connected her to the Sister's of Life who have a very large network of those willing to volunteer with things like child care, which is exactly what she wanted.

While not quite as old as Sarah in the Bible when she concieved Isaac, I hope this woman will eventually find the joy of a new baby.

No comments: