Thursday, May 5, 2011

The LOVE option.

"There are three choices. Parent, Abortion, and Adoption."

These words are a part of my everyday life here at the EMC Brooklyn office. However the choice of adoption is one that is always suggested but rarely ever seriously considered. Today was a special day.

This woman came in early. She was not interested in discussing pre-natal development. She didn't want to hear about the risks associated with abortion. She was very certain that she "knew it already". However, after speaking to her about her 18 month old son, I learned that she had considered adoption before. She knew about the process and said that she had gone through the preliminary steps while she was pregnant with her first child... but had decided to parent!

Now here she sits. Pregnant. Wanting an abortion.

"I caught it early enough. It is what I have to do. I think I am only a month along..."

Turns out her baby is 14 weeks old. The initial shock of this knowledge physically made itself manifest on every inch of her face. She sobbed in my arms. I felt her emotions flood my soul like a tsunami wave hitting a wall. After some time and a few phone conversations she was calmed enough to talk. "No way am I going to have an abortion... not this far along... " She asked me about adoption and about places that could help her to learn more about the specifics of this option. I helped set her up with Bethany Christian Services for a consultation.

This woman showed the depth of her heart. Her openness to even consider adoption gives me such hope! I am honored to have worked with her. I was present to see her conscience awaken and her heart embrace love... that is not selfish, that is kind, that does not seek its own interests.
Her journey is far from over, but I will rest assured that she will choose life for her child. God bless her and her discernment.






No comments: