Friday, May 13, 2011

Abstinence v. Anguish


As tears were streaming down her face, she told me she had only been sexually active for less than a month. She was scared and felt alone. Her boyfriend had been going out with her for two years, and she had only just given into the pressure. Now she sat in front of me, terrified that she might be pregnant.

Over and over again, I see the fear of being pregnant. In our world every mom is at risk of feeling like a baby is something to fear. I wish I could help every woman to understand, a child is a blessing not a curse. And yet how can they understand when all they can feel is fear? Our God is not a god of fear. He is God of power and strength, mercy, compassion and love. Out of our fear, we commit great sins against God. These women consider killing the Image of God, simply because they are afraid.

This girl made it two years before she gave in! I encouraged her to choose wisely, to wait for marriage before giving anymore of herself away. She listened to what I said, and she agreed. Being like "everyone else," wasn't worth the pain and fear she had put herself through. She told me, "Never again." She decided that day to choose abstinence. She chose safety and patience. Armed with those she will find there are still men out there who truly care about her. Who don't want her to suffer and feel alone. Who care enough about her to wait and encourage her to wait for them.

"But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive. Now therefore fear ye not: I will nourish you, and your little ones." And he comforted them, and spake kindly unto them. (Genesis 50: 20-21)

2 comments:

not a minx, a moron, or a parasite said...

I was just thinking "virgin isn't a dirty word" today. In a movie I was watching with my siblings, a character asks with voice dripping in derision, "Are you a virgin?" and it made me so angry.

Unknown said...

Isn't it sad how Hollywood considers it acceptable to deride virgins? Yet I have met so many people who are glad they waited till their wedding night, and I have met so many broken men and women because they did not.