Thursday, May 26, 2011

Inspiration Found


The first real involvement I had within the Pro-Life Movement was the attendance of the Heartbeat International Conference in Columbus, Ohio. While traveling out to Columbus, I was hesitant and unsure that I had made the right decision to intern with E.M.C. However, when I arrived, I found a group of amazing individuals comprised of fellow interns such as Marnee, Michelle, Heather and Abby, along with EMC founder, Chris Slattery. After some awkward small talk I realized these people had similar beliefs and the same convictions as I did, thus my apprehension disappeared.

The first day of the conference I attended two workshops, one concerning the ministering to urban clients and the other concerning the raising of cross cultural awareness. The speaker of the first workshop, Pat Upchurch, was inspirational, hilarious, but also presented the facts in a serious manner. She spoke on the importance of bridging out and listening to the clients, in effect saying look at the situation from their point of view. The second speaker was Gail
Dudley, who raised the point not to stereotype people and be open to the client who will have a different background than you. Both women forced me to think outside of myself and to contemplate how fortunate I am, and how I can spread my talents with the less fortunate.

On the second day, I heard Mark Bradley speak on post abortive stress. This individual shared his testimony of the destructive power of abortion on post abortive fathers. Not only was his speech moving, it also made me realize that abortion, no matter what Planned Parenthood tells the general public, harms society, even if it is not directly involving every person.

I, again, attended a workshop presented by Mrs. Upchurch, due to her rigor and passionate manner in which she presented the earlier topic. Speaking on identification of post abortive stress symptoms, Mrs. Upchurch related her painful testimony of abortion and the effects on her life. However, through this speech, Mrs. Upchurch, in a witty manner, expressed why this changed her and brought her closer to the Almighty. Her testimony is proof that God has a plan for every human being that He created.

Though I was initially apprehensive at first, I came to realize the individuals attending the Heartbeat Conference were similar to me in more than one way. True, the interdenominational factor was present, however so was the passion for the Pro-Life Movement. I thank the women and men who dedicate their lives to this work, not only because they fight to preserve human dignity, but also because they inspire the younger generations to stop sitting on the sidelines and fight alongside them in this ever crucial spiritual war on abortion.

No comments: