Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Beautiful Choice


I was blessed with a beautiful story. She came in for a pregnancy test at EMC's South Bronx center. She had been considering abortion, as most girls are when they come in. I was with another client when she came into the center. She sat in the waiting room with her best friend and watched a non graphic educational video about the two most common abortion procedures and risks and complications. Normally we wait until the client is in our counseling room, but one of the staff members had put it on for another client's friend.

By the time I saw her, she changed her mind. She walked into the counseling room with me, sat on the couch and proceeded to ask me detailed, well thought out questions. We talked about the procedure and she informed me she would never choose that option. She asked "why anyone would trade the risk of all those complications for a dead baby?" I didn't have an answer to give her.

Although she understands how difficult it will be to raise a child and do all the things she wishes to, she believes she will. Her family is going to support her in any way possible. She called her Godmother while she was with me and told her Godmother what her decision was. I saw for myself how close her family is.

This young girl amazed me. Even though she had made the mistake of having sex outside of marriage, she was willing to learn. To learn, and to take responsibility for her choices.

No comments: