Saturday, January 30, 2010

True Information Makes for True Choice part I


Beautiful, inquisitive, and vibrant is how I would describe the mother of four that I met with at our Pregnancy Center in the South Bronx. But she also had a sadness about her, and that was evident when she spoke of her abortion. It was something that she very much regretted, but she was pregnant again and felt like abortion was her only option. So we sat down and we talked about it.

The first step was to find out how far along she was. Than we spoke about the development of her tiny baby. Heartbeat and brain waves already present as well as itty bitty fingers and toes. I showed her pictures and fetal models of a baby at the same stage of development as hers, and the look of surprise on her face is not something I will soon forget.

I asked her what she knew about the abortion procedure. Admittedly she didn't know much, so I began an education in the two most common abortion procedures as well as the various risks and complications involved. She was so happy to be taking in all of this new information.


To be continued...

No comments: