Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Out in Force


Friday, January 22nd, 2010 dawned rainy and chilly in Washington D.C. Fitting weather, considering that this particular day was the anniversary of the 1973 legislation Roe vs. Wade that legalized abortion, albeit in a round-about way.

It was also fitting as this day was the March for Life. Though we do not have an exact estimate of the attendance, about 500,000 citizens from all around the United States marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court building, past the Congressional offices.

And they showed up for one goal: to show Washington that the people of the United States value life and want human life protected from conception to natural birth.

The March was easily one of the most memorable experiences of my entire life. One moment in particular is etched in my memory. After several hours of speeches and introductions with amazing pro-lifers, we left the March to get lunch at a nearby restaurant.

As we walked away, I stopped and turned back for a moment to watch my fellow marchers. It was at that moment that I truly understood the sheer enormity of the March. As far as the eye could see, from the Supreme Court back to the National Mall, pro-lifers walked 30 to 50 wide, growing continually larger as more poured into the group from all sides.

I literally gasped aloud.

The tides of this battle for life, for the rights of the unborn, are turning. According to a Gallup poll conducted in May of 2009, 51% of Americans identify themselves as pro-life. Some may see it as a marginal lead. But after seeing the hundreds of thousands who stormed our nations capitol on behalf of the unborn, I cannot say that we have a marginal lead.

We have a lead. A distinctive lead. There are more people in the United States who believe that human life begins at conception and should be protected.

And Washington cannot deny it. Praise God!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

My name is Sharon Smith and I am the assistant editor of Gynecology.net. I am contacting you today in hopes of developing a relationship with your website; we have seen your site and think your content is great. Gynecology.net offer a free informational resource to both the general and professional public on several women health issues.

I hope you show some interest in building relationship, please contact me at sharon.gynecology.net@gmail.com.