Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Decision Time

Sidewalk counseling was extreme today. Most women walked by, maybe about two of every three stopped to listen and take some literature. One woman flipped me off. But the most interesting encounter of all today was with a woman named “Clara.”

Clara was walking into Dr. Emily’s pretty slowly, and as soon as I spoke to her, she stopped. It was obvious that she didn’t want to have the abortion. It didn’t take much convincing. But then a worker (who I think was the abortionist herself) came out to start talking to Clara. She said that she worked there, and that Clara could come in.

Clara had a very clear decision to make. The words of Deuteronomy struck me at that moment: “I have set before you life and death.” Clara chose life. She took the pamphlet, put the number of the 149th street center in her phone, and walked away from the abortion clinic.

1 comment:

not a minx, a moron, or a parasite said...

It must have been so hard to stand outside and counsel after getting so many negative reactions. I'm so glad you were there to help Clara chose life!

Also, this is one of those "small world" moments- didn't I meet you at Catholic Thrive in September? You know Liz from MSM?

Wishing you well,
Trista