Wednesday, August 12, 2009

THIRTEEN TURNAROUNDS!

Last week at the Brooklyn office we had thirteen turnarounds! We started the day with serious prayer and then proceeded with confidence to counsel the girls and give them sonograms. The use of sonogram once again helped many scared mothers connect with their children and find the strength to say yes to life. Mother after mother walked into the sonogram room looked at her baby on the screen and had her heart melt with love for her unborn child. There were many tears and smiles. I even remember one young mother screaming for joy as she was told she was going to have a boy.

There was one mother I was especially happy to see turnaround. I saw her earlier that week at our Manhattan office in the waiting room. I remember feeling for her very much as I could clearly see the pain and worry on her face. She turned up at the Manhattan office a few days later for a sonogram. She only spoke Spanish and since I was the only counselor who could speak with her I sat down with her right away and made sure she was doing alright.

Her situation was hard, she was only twenty two years old supporting two children in Mexico on her own after the father had left them. She kept saying there was no way she could keep her baby. She was eighteen weeks and dead set on the abortion. I did not feel very hopeful but I could see she had such a loving soul I knew there was a chance. I asked her what God thought about it. She smiled and said she knew he did not like the idea of her abortion. Well then, I said...you should start talking to him about it, he loves you more than I do. I continued to check on her as she waited for the sonogram asking her how her conversation with God was going.

By the time it was her turn for the sonogram I did not really think she would turn around...THANKS BE TO GOD I WAS WRONG! She changed her mind out of nowhere and seemed to be completely at peace with her new path in life. I asked her if she was happy afterwards- she smiled and said of course she was very happy, how could she not be? A friend who was with her and did not want her to get the abortion was also very relieved. He said it is much better to have a mother with a baby than a mother without a baby and only with regret.

She called me today and she is doing wonderfully!

No comments: