Monday, August 3, 2009

The Importance of Hope and Perseverance in the Face of Suffering


One day at Lizz's office I counseled a girl who already had three abortions. She was pregnant for the fifth time and was anticipating a forth abortion. I continued taking her information and then proceeded to show her a DVD titled "Abortion Procedures".

After the video I began to ask her questions. I first asked how she felt after learning about all the risks. I also asked what she thought about the act of abortion. She responded in a broken way, confused by stress and fear, explaining that she just couldn't have the baby. She continued stating the reasons for having an abortion: she was financially unstable, her living conditions were less than ideal, her boyfriend didn't think it was the "right time" to have a baby, etc...

I then asked her why she thought she was in such a panic about this and why there were so many risks. She didn't have an answer so I told her why I thought there was so much that could go wrong. I told her that it was because having an abortion is unnatural. I asked her if she thought it was natural to have someone open you up and take the baby growing inside your womb out. She then began to cry.

I was sorry to see her suffer in the position she was in but glad to see that she was looking at the problem in the face and seeing what abortion truely is, possibley for the first time. I then asked her to reflect on her life since 16 years old, when she was first impregnated. I told her the reality of her life right now is that she has been going around having multiple sex partners, and when the natural occurence of becoming pregnant happens, she goes and has the babies killed in an effort to keep her life manageable.

I then continued to tell her that she could have this baby and that she can stop this vicious cycle. I told her that she should now stop having sex until she was stable enough to have a child. She agreed to come in for a sonogram but never showed. I will continue to try to get in touch with her and I asked that all who have read this will keep this woman, the father, and the baby in your prayers. I also ask for your prayers for forgiveness for the abortion clinic workers and that God may have mercy on them.

No comments: