Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Love of a Mother...

Today was one of my last days in New York City. Soon, I will be heading back to college at Franciscan University of Steubenville. I was in the South Bronx center today working and had the privilege to counsel a very special woman. At first, when I was talking to her, she told me she wanted an abortion. She was approximately 7 weeks so I thought that this case might be hard. I gave her a pregnancy test, and it turned out she was positive. As I was passing one of my fellow interns in the hallway, he looked down at the girl's intake form, scanning his eyes over the details. "Good luck," he said. I could just feel this was going to be a tough case. I prayed to the Lord to help me because I still got nervous over these sort of situations. I then walked back into the room and sat down. I explained that I was going to show her a short video on the abortion procedures so that she would be aware of them. Before I could even finish my sentence, though, she asked, "Do you guys help with adoptions?" I hesitated before saying, "Yes, of course!" She then burst into tears and said, "I can't have an abortion! I don't believe in it!" I immediately assured her that everything was going to be okay and that we were going to take care of her. I still showed her the abortion procedures just in case, but by the end of our session, I knew she was definitely not going to have an abortion! We exchanged numbers, and I set her up for a sonagram in a couple of weeks. I have a feeling that she is going to end up keeping the baby for herself, though, once she sees the baby. I then told her that her child was privileged to have so great of a mom as she. Anyway, I am so grateful to God for this amazing woman.

No comments: