Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"To set the whole world ablaze"

“If you are what you should be, you will set the whole world ablaze.” St. Catherine of Sienna’s quote echoed through my mind as I set out for our center in Queens yesterday morning. I didn’t know what to expect from the day ahead, but I knew that I had come to the Lifehouse to serve these women and bring them a truth they may never have encountered before. Then yesterday, as I counseled my first clients I saw firsthand the shock on their faces as they heard the extensive risks abortion posed for them including sterility, infection, heightened risk of breast cancer, and even death. As I showed them a film of an abortion I saw the terror and disgust on their faces as they contemplated going through this procedure themselves. All the girls told me they did not want to have an abortion, but some felt they didn’t have a choice. A few of the girls said they wanted their babies to have a better life than they could provide right now. These beautiful, strong-willed girls were left feeling totally vulnerable and as if they had no choice but abortion. Presenting them with other options, as well as information on adoption gave them a way out. Through the grace of God, many of them changed their minds, or agreed to come back for a sonogram.  I may not set the world ablaze, yet I am satisfied in lighting a few wildfires here and there. Keep these girls in your prayers, and please pray for the interns here, that we may speak the words of Christ, as our own are insufficient.

No comments: