Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fighting the Self

+JMJ+

Being poor, homeless, and alone are huge reasons for women in our clinics to come seeking an abortion. If they can't provide for the children they already have, how can they accept another mouth to feed? If there isn't room for another baby in their cousin's apartment, where will they go? If the child's father threatens to abandon her, who will take care of her family? 

None of these questions have easy answers. But they have answers, nonetheless. When a woman comes into my office with a secure job, a nice home, and a stable relationship, and all she's looking for is a "quick fix" so she can keep on partying, I have a much harder time. Because there are ways to combat homelessness, hunger, loneliness. But when I am pitted in a battle against the self, sometimes it feels like I am fighting barehanded. In moments like this, I am incredibly aware of how little I do, and how much God does in these little rooms. 

No comments: