Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Life Saved

On Thursday, I had started counseling on my own (after shadowing for a week) and a young woman about my age came in with her boyfriend. I saw from her intake form that she was "abortion leaning." I took her into the counseling room and as we waited for her pregnancy test, I told her about all the risks of a surgical abortion, which she was extremely surprised to hear. She said what she really wanted was to take the abortion pill and be done with it. Based on the information she had told me, she was already too far along for the pill to work, but she wanted to be absolutely sure. After we confirmed that she was pregnant, we watched a DVD of an 8-week surgical abortion. Halfway through, she said "My boyfriend needs to come see this." He came in, we finished the movie and then she said "I can't do that. If I'm too far along for the pill, there is no way I'm doing that."

Since it was Thursday, we had our ultrasound tech at the Queens Center, so we went in to have a sonogram. It turns out since she was already 7 weeks pregnant. She was worried about the fact that she didn't have insurance and still had two years of college left, but was determined to keep her baby. She and her boyfriend were happy to get our referrals to hospitals that will give free prenatal care. The difference in their attitudes from when they came into the center to when they left were extremely apparent. When they first arrived, they seemed nervous, unsure, and confused. As they left, they were relaxed, calm, and confident in their decision. He held her purse, and she protectively laid a hand over her belly.

I cannot describe the immense feeling of awe that overcame me as I realized that I had just witnessed a life being saved. I don't know how big a part I even played in it; I am convinced it was completely a work of God, and that I was blessed just to be there to see it happen.

No comments: