Friday, February 17, 2012

What Did You Say?

    I saw this sign while walking down the streets of  Manhattan. How many of us are guilty of being bad listeners? Do you ever find yourself engaging in conversation with someone, only to realize youre not "engaging" at all? You just made your whole grocery list, decided what to have for dinner, planned what you were going to say to your mother when you talk later, and in the meantime saying, "uh huh, yeah, I know, sure."? I do this way more often than I should.

    When I saw this sign I thought to myself, "an act of love?", but how true this statement really is. Whether it's just listening to someone talk about their day or the movie they saw last night. In the case of EMC couneling it's listening to the clients tell us about their struggles and getting them to open up to us. These are all acts of love. I'm not saying it will be easy, but try to drown out the world next time someone's confiding in you, show them you care.

No comments: