Friday, February 17, 2012

A Man's broken heart!

    Yesterday in our Queens center a couple came in who were convinced that they wanted an abortion because they just couldn't have this baby. As it is always, we tend to the women while the men stay in the waiting room, both myself and another intern took her into one of our rooms and spoke to her, had her open up and were just there listening to her with our hearts. After a few minutes, our Bronx directory asked me to talk to the husband who was anxiously waiting to see his point of view.
     I asked him to step into one of our available rooms, reluctantly he agreed. This man doubled my aged, so not knowing how I could reach to him I asked God to guide me and give me all the right words. After a few minutes of speaking to him, he looked me right in the eyes and told me "you are telling me everything I don't want to hear because everything your saying is right". I could tell he was hurting inside, his eyes were full of hurt because he knew what they wanted to do was wrong. I asked him why he felt that abortion was their only option, he said because we have to, he kept on repeating that over and over; we both knew he was trying not to convince me but himself.
     After a long conversation he said, "Luis, I'm really hurting inside, that's my baby and I know I'm killing him" that broke my heart into small pieces seeing his eyes with so much pain. He already had 9 kids and 3 with his current wife. He was completely heart broken because he knew that none of those 9 other kids would replace that one that they were planning on not having.
      At one point he looked me in the eyes and said, "Do you want to know what hurts me the most" I said, please tell me; He said, my mom was about to have an abortion with me but she decided not to at the last minute and now she looks at me and says, I am grateful that I didn't because you turned out to be amazing. That's when he couldn't hold it anymore and I could feel his heart breaking. I looked at him and I could feel how much he hurt.
    Once his wife came out and ready to leave, he looked at me one last time and said; Thank you, there is a lot we have to think about but I know you are right where God needs you to be. I just looked at him and smile. As they headed to the door, I started to think, How is it possible that i'm half his age and yet I was still able to give him advice, then I remember that I didn't do anything that it was all God. That with God, all things are possible and without him nothing is!!!!!!!
    

No comments: