Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Believe It or Not


Have I lived a pretty sheltered life up until this point? Yes. But what kinds of things was I unaware of and am now discovering? Some pretty shocking and horrible ones. I think I appreciate my upbringing a little more the more I learn I was not exposed to so early on. Sometimes my fellow interns bring home new and crazier stories every day. After all we’ve heard, we still all stand there with our mouths open, shaking our heads and at a loss for words. Helps that we are in NYC too. Sometimes the stories don’t even involve our work.
A few months ago one of the workers came home and was in a fairly worked up state. She was all excited and in some state of disbelief. It took a little bit to understand what she was trying to explain. She said that one of her girls (that’s how we refer to our clients) had carried her baby to term but it had died before she gave birth. Those are such incredibly rough moments. Like a double heartbreak. But that wasn’t the shocking part of the story. When it happened, the mother was so upset, she said she didn’t want to see the baby. As soon as she got home and was able to sort things out though, she began arranging a funeral and went back promptly to request her baby’s body. She was told she couldn’t have it. She persisted, but they refused. Someone with her overheard the medical personnel say to another that there was no way they could give the body back because the eyes had already been removed and sold (or “donated”) to research.

No comments: