Monday, October 3, 2011

Encountering My Abortion Bound Client On The Busy Streets of NY: No Coincidence


On Friday, I had a client in the Manhattan office who wanted an abortion. She is in her first trimester and has a career all planned out. "A baby doesn't fit in the plan right now" she told me, with her boyfriend shaking his head 'yes' in agreement beside her.

At the end of the counseling, I brought them both in to talk about the matters at stake. Her words seemed so sure that she wanted an abortion, but her body language looked uneasy, uncomfortable, and unsure. I brought that to her attention to tell her, "you really don't want the abortion for yourself though. Do you . " She just looked at me. No words. Her boyfriend felt sick and had to excuse himself to the bathroom.

Here are 2 wonderful, full of life, young people with the world at their feet, who both think it will be a "better" decision to terminate their own child. They legitimately think it's what they "have" to do. And yet, all the while it's not at all what they want.

Moving on, I went to mass at Church of Our Saviour this past Sunday. Afterwards, I was doing a little bit of shopping in that area. I walked out of one of the stores, and guess who was right there on the sidewalk? Of all the places in the city, of all the milliseconds of the minutes of the hours of time in our day, I ran into the boyfriend. I couldn't believe it.

I walked up to talk to him. I told him " you know this is not just a coincidence right ?" He agreed. I told him if he and his girlfriend changed their minds, I would still be here.

I prayed a whole rosary on the way home on the train. I prayed over and over for the baby, for the boyfriend, and for the mother. If you would, please also pray for this couple. Thank you .

No comments: