Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Denied the truth

I have been working for just over a month now and Planned Pregnancy never cease to amaze me. I find it very hard to believe how this organisation continues to conceal the truth from women and get away with it.

The other day a beautiful young lady walked out of Doctor Emily’s along with her mother. Thankfully, she didn’t choose to ignore me and accepted my invitation to come onto the bus so that we could give her a free sonogram. When I asked her why she was thinking of having a abortion, she replied, ‘I don’t feel ready to be a mother yet’. This was her first time at the clinic. I asked her if she had any knowledge of the side effects of abortion; if she was aware of the psychological and physical consequences that the majority of woman usually experience. She replied that she didn’t know anything about it. When I asked if anyone had informed her about the procedure and potential side effects whilst at the clinic, she said that they only told her how much it cost to have an abortion and how long it would take. This is what devastates me the most; it is a known fact that most women who see their baby on a sonogram do not go through with the abortion. Surprisingly, they didn’t offer her the option of having a sonogram...

This young woman has her whole life ahead of her, she is in a more fortunate situation than most women whom we normally encounter. Upon seeing her baby, both she and her mother were filled with joy - this girl decided to keep her baby in a instant. They were both so overjoyed upon seeing the baby. ‘Es varon, es varon they exlaimed!’ (Varon=boy in their Spanish dialect). The soon to be grandmother had only girls up until now....

I cannot believe how Planned Parenthood describe themselves as a ‘family planning service’. My understanding of the term ‘family planning’ leads me to think that people are given genuine, sincere advice and information. Obviously Planned Parenthood’s is slightly different.

No comments: